Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Continental and Forbidden Fruit


Today’s day started out nice with a new restaurant.  It had many of the same selections, but not all of them.  It was a continental (not The Continental) style breakfast overlooking the gardens.  It was a very nice way to begin my day.  I leisurely strolled through the entire garden on my way to work.

I received some updates to the some work items during my night and was able to start some work right away.  One user has one of the strangest problems in connecting to the internet that took a long time to resolve and in the end needed brute force to get it to work.  That is more of a story for a beer:30 and not so much here.

It wasn’t a real exciting day other than the computer I ordered getting here.  However, since I was dealing with the other user’s internet issues, I didn’t have a chance to do much other than unpack the system until about 4pm.  I was at work late working both the systems and have more work to do early tomorrow before they show up.  A leisurely meander may not be in the cards for tomorrow.

Practically stumbling out of work, I head to that ramen house I ate at last night and before the waiter even bothers to bring me an English menu, I order up my 6 Gyoza and a bowl of rice.  Within about three minutes I have my repast steaming in all its glory in front of me.  My only regret?  I didn’t find this place earlier in my stay.  This hit me as a touch of comfort food as I felt the day’s stress just wash away.  Another nice thing was I was the only gaijin in the place.  Well, at least I was until a couple and two guys showed up.  I’m not sure what it is about this place that attracts us foreigners.  I’m going to go with the awesome food as my answer.

I schlep back to the hotel later than I’d care to be getting back.  It is still hot, muggy, and not all that comfortable outside, so the interior of the hotel is a welcome feeling as the air conditioning washes over me.  Tokyo may be a beautiful city 99% of the time, but it cannot be accused of having beautiful weather that same amount.  That aside, I love it here.

Cracking the door to the room and peeling off the work clothes brings another shot of welcome relief and I head to the mini-fridge in the room where I have my latest acquisition waiting for me: De Verboden Vrucht.  A wonderful little fruit beer that is dangerously easy to enjoy being that it is 8.5% alcohol.  I kick back enjoying the brew and staring at the bright lights of Chiyoda-ku letting my mind wander and marvel in the luck I’ve had in even being able to enjoy this wonderful nation and a few of its people.  I was beginning to dread leaving not knowing if I’d be back, but knowing that I will is making the last few days that I have here not so urgent.

Until tomorrow’s sojourn…

2 comments:

  1. So cool you may get to return! Proud if you and your work ethic. I know you are good at go foreign languages, I remember when you were in Spain and said you were dreaming in Spanish! Are you dreaming in Japanese? No poison fish please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No poisonous fish, just toad-licking. Just kidding.

    I am no where near dreaming in Japanese as I know about a dozen phrases or words. My hope is that by the time I come back that I will be able to carry on a simple conversation.

    ReplyDelete