Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Jiminy Cricket!

So after my last day in the office, I get to go enjoy a game of cricket!  I must say it was a lot of fun to watch.  There's more going on than baseball and it's pretty exciting.  I walked to the Kia Oval pretty much right after getting dropped off at the hotel and I dropped my stuff in the room.  I was told to check out the boar roast which is basically a pulled pork sandwich for something to eat.  It sounded delicious!  I had no problems following the crowd to the match.  It reminded me a bit of my Broncos rugby match in Brisbane in March 2015, but this was on a much smaller scale and it was much cooler this evening than that muggy night as I recall.  I popped into the stadium and was immediately right next to the roast boar place.  Fortuitous! I ordered my bap (what they called the sandwich) and I headed over to one of many beer stations and order an ale.  It's an extra £1 as a deposit on their one pint cups but you can get that back at the end of your drinking at collection areas or you can drop it in other bins to donate your quid to certain charities.  Beer and food in hand, I dove in and was not overly disappointed only in the portion, but that's to be expected at these types of venues.  It was very tasty though.  I wander around the oval looking for the gift shop to see if I can find a good souvenir like a jersey as I've done from the other rugby games I've gone to when I was down in Australia.  Alas, the room they have for official gear was very small and didn't have a great selection.  I will just have to check online later.  I head to my seat and after a minor issue finding the right way to the section, I find my seat and settle in to enjoy three hours of T20 Cricket between Surrey and Somerset.
It was a great game, Surrey score 154 on 8 wickets and Somerset only 139 on 6 wickets,  So in the parlance of the game: Surrey wins 154-8 by 12 runs.  I can see why this is a popular sport to watch.  Thank you mates in Oz for helping me understand this game more!



No comments:

Post a Comment